Aquatic turtles are among the most popular reptiles kept as pets. There are many aquatic turtle species that make great pets when cared for properly. Although there are many different types of aquatic turtles in North America, the maintenance and care requirements in captivity are all very similar. It is important to remember that turtles are long lived animals and many will live more than 20 years. Keeping a turtle is a long-term commitment and needs to be considered before purchasing. Please do not release pet turtles into the wild.
- Common Name: Aquatic Turtles
- Scientific Name: Graptemys spp., Trachemys spp., Pseudemys spp.+
- Distribution: Southeast and Central U.S.A.
- Size: 5-12″
- Life Span: 6-35+ years
- Hatchling & juveniles will need a minimum of a 20 gallon aquarium.
- Depending on species, adults will need a minimum of a 40 gallon aquarium per pair of turtles.
- Zoo Med’s new Turtle Tub™ is a great choice for all aquatic turtles! • Provide hiding places and basking areas with Zoo Med’s Turtle Dock™, Turtle Hut™, Floating Turtle Log™ and Mopani Wood™.
- Provide filtration with Zoo Med’s Turtle Clean™ or 501 or 511 Canister Filters.