Ball Pythons are an excellent beginner snake and one of the most popular pet snakes due to their docile nature. Captive bred Ball Pythons are becoming more readily available in the hobby, and the many color morphs being created have added to the growing popularity of this small python species. Ball Pythons were given the name “Ball” because when threatened, they will curl into a ball and hide their head in their coils. In Europe they are called “Royal Pythons.”
- Common Name: Ball or Royal Python
- Scientific Name: Python regius
- Distribution: Western African countries of Ghana and Togo.
- Size: “3.5-6”
- Life Span: 25 years
- Hatchling to juvenile Ball Pythons (under 3′) can be housed in a 20 gallon terrarium.
- Adult Ball Pythons will need at least a 40 gallon terrarium. We recommend keeping Ball pythons in an enclosure that is no shorter than half the length of the snake.
- Hatchling Ball Pythons can be housed together, however juveniles and adults should be housed separately.