The Green Iguana is the most popular “large sized” lizard kept in captivity. Although these lizards have been popular as pets, they are very demanding and are not for beginners. Their adult size and potential for aggressiveness make them a challenge to properly care for. The majority of iguanas available today are farm-raised in Central and South America.
- Common Name: Green or Red Iguana
- Scientific Name: Iguana iguana
- Distribution: Throughout Central and South America
- Size: 4-5″
- Life Span: 15-20+ years
- Green Iguanas grow up to 5’+ and will need to be housed in a large enclosure as adults.
- Hatchling and juveniles will need a minimum 30-40 gallon size terrarium.
- Zoo Med’s Iguanarium® is an excellent choice for medium to subadult Iguanas.
- All branches and cage décor must be secured to the enclosure because Iguanas are strong animals that will quickly rearrange their cage if allowed