Uromastyx is a genus of lizard found in parts of Africa and the Middle East. There are several species regularly offered in pet stores, and care requirements for common species are very similar. Uromastyx lizards come from very hot places and need high temperatures to do well as pets. In the wild these lizards live in burrows and will do best if offered underground retreats. This lizard is best suited for intermediate to experienced keepers and is not recommended for beginners.
- Common Name: Uromastyx Lizard
- Scientific Name: Uromastyx spp.
- Distribution: Throughout Northern Africa & the Middle East
- Size: Species dependent: 8-24″
- Life Span: Species dependent:15-35+ yrs
- Juvenile Uromastyx need a minimum 20 gallon terrarium. Juveniles can be housed together in a 30 gallon terrarium.
- Adult Uromastyx need a minimum 40+ gallon terrarium.
- Provide plenty of hiding and basking places.
Rocks, thick branches or Mopani Wood make excellent choices for decorating your lizard’s habitat.